Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Which diaper for chunky baby?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MommyRaena View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote MommyRaena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which diaper for chunky baby?
    Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 5:30pm
Ok I am seriously starting to get a headache! Confused Lol. ok not really but I have been pouring over blogs, reviews and posts on forums and I just can't decide. I do not want an AIO or a pocket and I need something affordable. My daughter is a thick baby (97th percentile at last appt) but not very tall (60th percentile) and I would like to begin cloth diapering. After a recent run in with a bad diaper rash from a disposable diaper brand I have had enough plus the lower cost over time looks good. Especially if we decide to have another baby. I am waffling back and forth between the Flip and the Best Bottom diapers. Which one do you think would fit her best? I want to be able to take her all the way to potty training. I would also like something that I can use prefolds in if need be. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

fwesson View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 5:37pm
Hopefully someone can chime in that has more experience with the hybrids systems.  I have used Flips but, just as a regular cover.  They were very durable but, just not what I wanted.  I have not used Best Bottoms.  I'm a fitted user so I have to give a shout out for the Motherease system!
Welcome to the Pin!!!
~~Farrah~~

Parker~14, Abby~12, Spencer~10, Charlotte~6,, Cooper~4, Margaret~2, & Tucker ~12-31-10.

"The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept."~George Carlin
Daisy2971 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daisy2971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 5:50pm
You sound like you're describing my "fluffy" build son.  Big smile  I have Flips and the covers fit him great.  We do have occasional leaks from the top front when he lays on the floor to play.  I don't like the insert though.  They seem to bunch up and shift around.  We use GMD prefolds and Flip covers for the sitter.  Have you looked at Blueberry coveralls?  They seem to fit him even better.  We also get a lot more wears out of a Blueberry cover than the Flips before they need washed.  The flaps in the flips get wet with every change.  Blueberries are a few dollars more, but I think you could get away with fewer covers and save a little in the long run.  I have yet to have a leak with a Blueberry and GMD prefold.
Cameron 11/11/02 Ava 11/22/04 Noah 1/30/08 Wyatt 2/15/11 giada md<
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 6:40pm
GMD makes a wide baby prefold for chunky babies. I don't know much about it, haven't seen one in person but you could check it out. There are some pics of it on babies on their sales page.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote MommyRaena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 7:01pm
Lol. I like that. "Fluffy build". LOL I will look in the blueberries. How trim are they? I already have to buy her 24 month clothing even though she is only nine months so I don't want a huge fluffy bottom. How much space does your combo take up in the diaper bag? I'm out a lot so that's why I was leaning towards inserts but I am totally willing to use a prefold.
Daisy2971 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daisy2971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 7:30pm
We're buying 18 months and he's 9 months.  They're not overly trim, but not overly fluffy either.  He's 22 lbs and they still fit him on the smallest setting, so I can't image them not fitting all the way to potty training.  I've been trifolding a red edge GMD and they fit perfectly, so you pretty much have the ease of an insert.  I haven't had any problems with how his clothes fit over them, so they must not be too fluffy.  Right now, the Swaddlebees website has some irregular covers in the clearance section for $8-$10 if you wanted to try one just to see how they fit.  BUt, the most important part, they have the most adorable prints!  I'm so jealous you get to pick the girly ones! 
Cameron 11/11/02 Ava 11/22/04 Noah 1/30/08 Wyatt 2/15/11 giada md<
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 7:39pm
I didn't read through each post but I DO NOT recommend the Best Bottom for a chunky baby at all.  They are really trim but small on the fit for sure.  My daughter was really chunky and Flips fit her well for a long time too.  I will also say that Blueberry coveralls fit better on chunky kids too.
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote MommyRaena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Daisy2971 Daisy2971 wrote:

We're buying 18 months and he's 9 months.  They're not overly trim, but not overly fluffy either.  He's 22 lbs and they still fit him on the smallest setting, so I can't image them not fitting all the way to potty training.  I've been trifolding a red edge GMD and they fit perfectly, so you pretty much have the ease of an insert.  I haven't had any problems with how his clothes fit over them, so they must not be too fluffy.  Right now, the Swaddlebees website has some irregular covers in the clearance section for $8-$10 if you wanted to try one just to see how they fit.  BUt, the most important part, they have the most adorable prints!  I'm so jealous you get to pick the girly ones! 

Oooh really! (running off to Swaddlebees) Thanks! I will try them out. The patterns seem like they can be quite addictive. Knowing me, I will be trying to match her diaper to her hair bows! lol
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 9:20pm
I second Jenn's reccomendation to not get Best Bottoms, they run pretty darn small.

My chubby baby suggestions are prefolds and flats paired with Thirsties Duo wraps or their regular covers. They can be snappied or trifolded (in Duo wraps). I also highly reccomend GMD's Workhorse diapers or Motherease Sandy's for fitteds. Sandys are very roomy and the side snaps allow for a great fit. They are so gentle!! Workhorses are a great second choice and pretty inexpensive. GMD has great pictured on their site.

Wool soakers are also great for baby chub. No red marks with wool at all.

Good luck! Flips were not my favorite, but other mamas love them. Start slow and find out what you like before buying a whole stash. Best of luck to you!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 9:23pm
Oops, I just read that you want something to take her to potty training. Depending on how old your daughter is, Thirsties Duo wraps size 2 will take you to potty. Pair them with flats and that will do the trick, too. Flips will take you to potty training and are pretty gentle on the thighs.
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 11:22pm
I know exactly how you are feeling...head swirling with info. I started CDing my DD at about seven months, so we had similar circumstances. My daughter is very high percentile for weight, too, but also height. So, maybe not as round as your LO , but pretty big with seriously chunky thighs. If you very seriously want to save money, I would recommend PFs and/or flats with covers to start. If I were starting again, this is what I would buy.
Thirsties package at MomBecks
It's a package with 24 OsoCozy PFs and 5 Thirsties Duo size 2 covers. You could trifold the PF and just lay it in the cover. I think you might be able to Snappi or pin this size, as well. MomBecks could probably tell you more about them. She's having a 15% off sale and has free shipping. I'd add 2 packages of wipes, some wipes solution, and a wetbag or two or pail liner. If you're considering wool, then it would be a great place to buy a Disana soaker on sale. It's a great, comfortable item for nights. If you're planning to fasten with a Snappi, I think she sells those, too.

GMD is another great option. I love GMD PFs, but I found my DD outgrew red edge for fastening way before the 24 lb. The new "wide" ones might be an option for you. The width looks great, but with a height growth spurt, it may not last as long because it's shorter than red edge. If you're not planning to fasten, then red edge would be great. Brown edge would be too big and bulky for your LO for now, but 2 or 3 for nights would be good to have.   If ordering from GMD, I would recommend a dozen PFs of whatever size you determine and a dozen flats, and I'd still recommend Thirsties Duo size 2, but you might want to try a few different covers. Perhaps a few cotton doublers and a few of their hemp doublers for night. GMD has awesome info about sizing and fit.

Then pick a detergent to try. Once you get a little experience, you may want to try some other things.

I have not tried bottom bumpers or flips. I didn't much care for the material of the flips, but so many mamas love them and swear by them. I haven't tried Blueberries either, but they look and sound really nice. I like Thirsties for the value and fit on my DD. I think it will last longer than my other covers because it has a longer rise. The leg gussets are very gentle on my DD's chunky thighs. They have a bit of elastic in the front which I like because my DD is a tummy sleeper. I also like that I can use a PF, a flat, or a fitted. It covers all of them.

The cloth is definitely bulkier in the diaper bag, but you'll figure out a system to carry what you need. I hope this was helpful and didn't make your headache worse.   
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote MommyRaena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 1:42am
Thanks amymcg97. It did give me another option to research.  I am now wondering about the fastening. I don't really want to deal with that so I was hoping that I could find something effective that didn't require that. How well do the prefolds stay put without fastening with the thirsties? I would still need to fold an insert into the prefold right? My daughter is a pretty heavy wetter. 
My hearts: Cameron-12, Corynne-9, Chloe-11 months giada md
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:20am
Prefolds are really absorbant and shouldn't need an insert for daytime if you trifold them and lay them in the thirsties cover. It just lays in and then you wrap the cover and fasten and it holds it in snugly. The Duo is my favortie cover for trifolding. It is such an easy way to diaper! I checked out that MomBecks package and it is a really great deal and those prefolds were made for trifolding. Still, cloth will require more frequent changes than a disposable, but prefolds can hold a ton. Nighttime is another story and usually requires a different diaper.
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:53am
Originally posted by MommyRaena MommyRaena wrote:

Thanks <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2"><span id="userPro11" ="msgSidePro" title="View Drop Down">amymcg97. It did give me another option to research.  I am now wondering about the fastening. I don't really want to deal with that so I was hoping that I could find something effective that didn't require that. How well do the prefolds stay put without fastening with the thirsties? I would still need to fold an insert into the prefold right? My daughter is a pretty heavy wetter. </span>

The PFs just get folded in thirds, and lay it in the cover. The Thirsties have worked great for holding them in place. For flats, you can "pad fold" them into the shape of a rectangle. I believe there is a sticky note for how to do that. When I first started, I almost always added a doubler (which adds absorbency but also a little bulk). Then I realized that the GMD PFs are so absorbent that I didn't need a doubler. I only use doublers now for nights or maybe a long car ride. For flats, they're so thin, that you can double up on those for nights or naps. Some people buy preemie sized or newborn sized PFs to use as doublers. If you think you'll have more kiddos, this might be the way to go. You can also make some if you're trying to save money. You can make wipes, too. (flannel receiving blankets are great for this). I also use a liner (Imse Vimse brand) so that I can lift the poop off and flush it down the toilet. Lots of people use a diaper sprayer and love them (attaches to toilet). You don't have to use either of those, they're in the category of "nice to have". If you don't have liners or a sprayer, get yourself a spatula dedicated for scraping poop into the potty. I am rambling now. I will probably post a couple more links with info. for you to check out. If you haven't spent much time on the GMD website, I would go there to check out pics of the fastened diapers. I thought I would mostly fasten the PFs and have found I mostly use trifolding because of the simplicity. I also found a love for fitteds and wool, so my stash is made up of both. If I had it to do over again, though, I'd probably do PFs and flats in Thirsties Duos for day and fitteds with wool for night. You can always pick up a few fitteds and wool soakers in time. Or if you stick with PUL, the Mothease system would be great to try for night.   (But the covers are sized.)
Edited to correct typos.

Edited by amymcg97 - 23 Dec 2011 at 12:34pm
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:08am
Was obviously typing my longwinded response when Clare had already answered your question more succinctly.....
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:56am
Originally posted by amymcg97 amymcg97 wrote:

Was obviously typing my longwinded response when Clare had already answered your question more succinctly.....

You give very helpful info, Amy!
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:57am
Well, here's some more info to make your head spin!

Here is a detergent comparison chart . That will be one of your next decisions.

If you want to start with something other than PFs for night, MomBecks also carries the Babee Greens one size organic cotton fitted. It's really trim, but very absorbent. There are pictures on the GMD website of this diaper. Perhaps the Disana tie nappies would be worth considering. They're OS and you add a PF, plus maybe a doubler for night. But there's a learning curve for them because of how they tie. I would love to try them but figure I have enough diapers, so it's really more of a want than a need. They're affordable and come in a pack of three. This would be a very affordable and comfortable night system., which could be great for a little chunkster :) because there's no elastic to bind. If you decide to order from GMD, just get a few brown edge PFs and some hemp doublers for night. That would be a very affordable night system, too. (GMD does not sell the tie nappies because the owner believes the long ties pose a potential risk for babies. So, something to consider. Normally, though, the diaper would be well covered.)

Motherease has introductory offers. This would be a great way to try a Sandy's fitted and air flow cover. Motherease Intro Offer

If you have any questions, Mamas here are so helpful.   Happy shopping!

A few more links:

Asmallgreenfootprint.com

Disana tie nappies (pictorial)

This store has some great videos of CDing products. They also have 30% off first order.
littlespruceorganics.com
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 12:03pm
Agh. Sorry. I should have mentioned that the tie nappies would probably not fit under a Thirsties Duo in the leg/thigh area. At least I don't think it would. Wool or a fuller fitting cover would work better. I'm sure other Mamas could make recommendations if they interest you.
Edited to add...
And most importantly, welcome to the Pin!

Edited by amymcg97 - 23 Dec 2011 at 12:36pm
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote MommyRaena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 12:10am
Thank you guys so much! I've been pouring over the options you mentioned and I placed an order for 1 Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap, 1 Thirsties Fitted, 1 Flip, and 1 Blueberry coverall so far just to see. I will be checking out GMD next and getting some prefolds and doublers. I really like the idea of hemp so I think that's the direction I will go. Thanks for the chart. That was another thing plaguing my mind. I am sooo grateful that I came across this site because you ladies have been so much help! Thank you.

Do you think I should just get the brown edge prefolds or should I get some of the reds as well from GMD?
My hearts: Cameron-12, Corynne-9, Chloe-11 months giada md
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 12:30am
That's a great idea to see which ones work best for your little one. I think the brown edge would be great for width but might be a bit long. If you only order one of each to see, Karen may adjust the shipping for you. (E-mail her.) they do have a mechanism for ordering one sample of the wide on the sales and seconds page (I think someone else mentioned that), and the rest are listed together on the cloth diapers page. Just be sure to fully prep them so you can see the actual size. They shrink and quilt up a lot. You can use a boiling method to make quick work of it. And bear in mind that as your daughter changes shape and size with growth spurts, you may prefer one cover over another. The GMD website is amazing for information and pictures, but be prepared for more of a headache. There is a TON of information there.   Hooray for your first purchases! Very exciting.
 Post Reply Post Reply