Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Diaper rash in newborn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kshelf View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kshelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diaper rash in newborn
    Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 12:09pm
My 4-week old is breaking out in horrible rash every time we put her into the cloth diapers. We're using the same prefolds we used with our first. There aren't any stink issues, so I don't think it's a buildup issue - I think it's just a wetness sensitivity. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 12:14pm
When A. was a newborn she had a yeast rash that took forever to completely clear up.  It got worse with the wetness of cloth diapers and we ended up using a prescription cream on it that finally cleared it up.  If it is wetness, maybe you could get/make some stay dry liners that you could just place on top of the prefold like these:

http://www.nickisdiapers.com/imagine-stay-dry-liners-6-pack.html

Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(9)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 140 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 12:27pm
My IRL friend had the same issue.  C and T both.  She added some wool covers to her routine and the extra air circulation helped.  You could always do some coverless time on a blanket too
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (Jun 11)
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 12:50pm
Oh yeah, we did TONS of naked time and that really helped too.  I can't believe I forgot about that!  We put one of those waterproof pads down and then a big prefold to soak up any pee and put her on top, then I just changed out the prefold any time it felt damp at all...

Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 175 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
All of my newborns have needed fleece liners. Well, the first two definitely did and I've just been using them from day one with my third. I just cut up a yard of the cheapest fleece I could find at walmart and washed it several times.

ETA: My guys have also needed to be dried after wiping. So at every change I wipe them with a wet cloth wipe, then dry them with a dry one before putting on the next diaper. 

Edited by jberrec - 26 Apr 2012 at 1:59pm
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (5.5), DS2 (4), DS3 (almost 2) and another little one born in Feb
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 2:17pm
Fleece liners and very frequent changes helped my son a lot when he was a newborn and in prefolds. What does the rash look like? Is it sunburn like? It could be a reaction to detergent.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
Kshelf View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kshelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:34pm
The rash looks like prickly heat, so I don't think it's a yeast rash. My older girl has horribly sensitive skin, so we've already switched to all-natural everything. I have fleece inserts, but those are pretty bulky. I may try getting the fleece fabric and cutting that up. Thanks for the suggestions!
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
That's what I do, just cut up cheap fleece. I hope it helps, troubleshooting rashes is no fun at all.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 66 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 2:03am
S had to have lots of time in wool, fleece, or Motherease AF covers.  The PUL-types just didn't work so well for more than an hour or so, interspersed w/ the more breathable options.  Sposies were better than PUL, but breathable was definitely better for him.  He outgrew the sensitivity by about 4mo.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Kshelf View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kshelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 6:53pm
So, I was wrong - the doctor told us today it is a yeast rash. I'm trying coconut oil, which seems to be helping already. How do I get it out of the diapers? Is Oxiclean enough or do I have to bleach? I don't use bleach b/c my girls have super sensitive skin to any kind of chemicals. Will sunning be enough?
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 12:36am
I would use bleach, or grape seed extract, and super hot water.  I don't think oxyclean is going to be strong enough to kill the yeast. Another great trick is plain yogurt on the yeast rash, the good bacteria will kill off the yeast very quickly.  Plus it's extra gentle on their skin.

Edited by rustygriffen - 03 May 2012 at 12:37am
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:34pm
I would try a dash of bleach plus sunning. Just rinse until any bleach scent is gone.
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:20pm
i second the plain yogurt.
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:20pm
when we can't sun, we have a daylight uv light - just gotta turn baby on tummy so they don't look at the light directly.
 Post Reply Post Reply