Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Tell me about chicken treats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(59)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 251 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tell me about chicken treats
    Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 8:22pm
So I've been giving the girls a daily treat of stuff from the kitchen. Leftovers mostly, like celery ends, the heart of some romaine lettuce, apple pieces that William spits out Wacko, yada yada. First, how much can I give them every day? They aren't outside much at all yet because of the weather so I know they enjoy the greens I give them as a supplement instead of foraging in the yard. Also, what are the rules of foods they can/cannot have? Are there any hard and fast DO NOT FEED foods I should know about that could harm them? I know they won't eat peels of stuff yet (or ever), and I also know they love cauliflower but don't know if htey should have it. Thanks!!
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
Sponsored Links

jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:19am
Don't overload them with treats.  Their feed is the most important thing right now.

Do NOT feed:
-citrus fruits and peels
-bones
-large amounts of meat or meat gone bad
-garlic or onion
-avocado skins or pits
-raw potato skins
-any potato with any green on it (the whole potato will then be toxic)
-long cut grass (cut it shorter)
-chocolate

I'll post the ok list for you later but i've gotta run right now.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(59)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 251 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:12pm
Oh that's simple...honestly I don't think I'd give them that stuff anyway. Chocolate? Who does that?! They're chickens! LOL I keep all the chocolate to myself Embarrassed

As far as frequency of treats, I would say that daily they are getting (remember I have 11 of them):
Maybe 8 worms from the garden
Some leftover greens from the kitchen like a celery heart, I've even given them a whole cauliflower to much on, which took them 24 hours to eat it all.

Mostly I'm asking because they're going to be cooped up for quite a while without regular access to outside, and I don't want them bored and hen-pecking. I think next time I'll hang the cauliflower from the ceiling so they have something to play with, not just eat. I also put a stuffed dog in there and they think he's evil LOL
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:57pm
I'd cut back a bit on the treats.  A whole cauliflower i'd say should last them 4 days.  I don't give my chicks that much treats.  The feed is designed to provide all their nutrition so if they're getting too many treats they can become deficient on other things.  When i give mine treats in the brooder it's like 2 cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. quartered lengthwise.  When i give cherry tomatoes i give them about 1 cup of them quartered.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 1:09pm
Here's the list of OK foods i found last year. I keep it posted on my fridge.
Apples & Applesauce (unsweetened)
Asparagus, raw or cooked, though they usually don't like it
Bananas, no peel
Beans, cooked, never dry
Beets and Beet Greens
Green Beans
Berries
Breads
Broccoli and Cauliflower, works well in a suet cage
Cabbage & Brussels Sprouts, can hang it
Carrots & Carrot Tops, raw or cooked
Cereal, unsweetened, like Cheerios
Cheese including cottage, in moderation
Corn, on cob, canned, raw, or cooked
Crickets
Cucumbers
Eggs, hard boiled or scrambled
Eggplant
Cooked Fish or Seafood
Flowers, marigolds, pansies, etc.
Fruit-pears, peaches, cherries (pitted), apples
Grains-bulgar, flax, niger, wheatberries, etc.
Grapes, seedless only, cut in half
Grits, cooked
Lettuce, Kale, Spinach, Chickweed
Mealworms
Oatmeal, cooked in nutritionally better
Pasta/Macaroni, cooked, but not very nutritious
Peas
Bell Peppers
Pomegranates
Popcorn, air popped
Potatoes/Yams, cooked, but not very nutritious
Pumpkins/Winter Squash, raw or cooked, seeds are also good
Raisins
Rice, cooked only
Scratch Grain
Sprouts, especially wheat or oat
Summer Squash, yellow or green
Sunflower Seeds, shelled or with their shell
Tomatoes, raw or cooked
Watermelon, refrigerate in hot weather
Yogurt, plain or flavored
I would like to note that too much flaxseed is not good for them so althought it's good in small amounts, do not overdue it. And if feeding whoel grains they need a couple weeks to get used to it otherwise their muscles aren't strong enough to grind it and you can end up with other problems (don't forget the grit, too).
Jess

P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(59)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 251 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:20pm
Wow thanks, that's very helpful! I also found this page for future reference, I might print both and keep on refrigerator.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:03am
I'll have to look at your link too when i get some time.  I found a list of duck treats from there and saved it on my computer.
Jess

Post Reply Post Reply