Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Books and Entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Children's Movies

Dance Academy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 207 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dance Academy
    Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 2:47am
I love this show!  It is an australian show so the only way you can watch it is on netflix streaming (they have all the episodes from both seasons up right now even though the series just ended today in australia) or youtube (some people have uploaded it there and since it isn't really broadcast in the U.S. it is legal).  I guess season one is on teen nick but I don't know anyone that actually has that channel. 

Anyway it is about teens at an elite ballet school in sydney.  So beautiful setting and fun dancing.  The characters are all pretty likeable, it is a young teen show so nothing very scandalous goes on, and the episodes are 26 min or so long so it doesn't have to take up a lot of time to watch.  And the actors themselves are pretty refreshing in that none of the girls are super skinny and almost everyone is normal looking.  I mean they are attractive but believably attractive.  And they where clothes that aren't always flattering and look like something kids in their situation could actually afford. 

Anyone into teen dramas should check this out.  Season two is better acted but I fell in love with the show season one and the acting isn't bad at all.   Teens that actually act like teens, it is so refreshing to see on tv!
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
Sponsored Links

minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 126 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:43pm
I haven't heard of it but there are two dance shows starting for summer pretty soon- bun heads on ABC family and the other one is on ABC or CW i think i forget the name but will keep an eye out for it. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 126 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:51pm
ok it's called Breaking Pointe on CW it's a reality show I guess http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOXN3jMJ9fs and here is bun heads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUl0bT_FpHQ
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
hudfamsix View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote hudfamsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:45pm
How appropriate would it be for younger kids?  Sierra is 10, and would probably love a show like that.  Is there much "teen drama", boyfriend/girlfriend stuff, or girls being mean to each other?
Beth
"Babe" to Jason (12 years)
Knitting, Running, Homeschooling Mom to
Sierra (11), Tyner (9), Zeke (5), and Emma (3)
umbribyz View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(8)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 268 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote umbribyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:06pm
there is some "crush" boyfriend/girlfriend things. can't remember if there was some kissing. there are girls being mean to each other. i am only a few episodes in.
Carrie
HSing and Knitting Mama to my 3 sweet boys   
umbribyz View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(8)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 268 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote umbribyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:08pm
oh, i forgot to say that i like the show too. just wanted to answer your questions. maybe preview a few episodes and see what you think?
Carrie
HSing and Knitting Mama to my 3 sweet boys   
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 207 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 6:13pm
Yeah I would watch a few episodes.  It does have boyfriend girlfriend stuff although mostly harmless and realistic crush behaviour.  There is one episode in the middle of the season where a couple things about having sex but they end up not doing it and it isn't the biggest issue of the episode.  I actually can't recall sex being discussed by any other of the couples at all in either season.  One of the characters also questions his sexuality in the first season and there is a boy/boy kiss and hand holding in the second season but again I think it is pretty tame and played really low key for the most part. 

Mean girl stuff is actually a significant part of both season.  There are a couple of characters that like to do things to put other dancers at a disadvantage but most characters are nice and they all end up friendly enough eventually.
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 207 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 6:20pm
Katie it would be hard to hear about in the U.S. because it isn't advertised here at all.  It shows late at night or something on teen Nick but most people don't watch or have that channel.  I think all the actors are Australian, filmed in Sydney, not available on Hulu, etc.  I just found it because I scan the new releases or recently added on netflix and saw it and since I like to watch dance things and teen dramas I gave it a try.  Dd likes to watch it with me sometimes and ds2 likes the music and dancing in it, it helps him go to sleep.
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:32pm
We watch it on Teennick here at my house. I like it. So do my girls.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
 Post Reply Post Reply