Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Trouble gaining weight in pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble gaining weight in pregnancy
    Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:59pm
I'm not sure if this is where this topic belongs.

I am pregnant with my first baby. My family history with diabetes and my own personal history with PCOS had concluded in my doctors agreeing that I be labeled as a gestational diabetic. I'm technically not in any danger at this point of actually being diabetic, but my "team" is being extra careful.

I keep a food log, limit my sugar and try to eat as healthy as possible. Now up to 3 meals and 5 snacks a day. I also check my blood sugar. My concern is that I'm still not getting enough calories. My weight fluctuates and I've gained about 5 pounds give or take, I'm at 19 weeks today. It seems that when I go to the doctor I am heavier than when I weigh myself at home. Even though I mention my concerns, they don't feel the same way.

Any thoughts on how to get more healthy calories while watching my sugars? Is it normal for weight to bob up and down?

TIA
Sponsored Links

txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 296 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:31pm
I am always heavier at the Dr than at home but I think it is because I weigh myself in the morning at home and usually not with any clothes on.  At the Dr, it is later in the day (like after lunch) and I am fully clothed.  My weight goes up and down by 1-2lbs every day, depending especially on how well hydrated I am.

I don't have any experience with GD, but hopefully there is someone here who knows more and can answer those questions for you!
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 329 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:52pm
No experience with GD or PCOS, but didn't want to read and run.  How many calories are you getting each day? Do you feel hungry? Are you exercising/more active than previously? Did you experience weight loss during the first half of the pregnancy, whether due to sickness or positive dietary changes?

Not sure if this will help, but maybe it will comfort you a little.  For reference, I'm usually about a size 10 and get really sick when pregnant.  I gained 12 pounds over prepregnancy weight with the first kiddo, 14-15 with the second.  I'm about 10 weeks along now and have regained to -10, and anticipate a similar net gain as with the first two.  Both kids were healthy and full-term, 7lb 11oz, birth was quick and simple.  Again, I'm just one data point, but I know how frustrating it can be to compare your numbers to "normal" numbers and feel discouraged and wanted to share in case it helps you at all.  
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

On Hand Lotions shop!
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 4:00pm
Thanks guys.

Sunnymom, that is really helpful. I did loose a little 1st trimester because of lack of appetite, but now I feel like I am eating myself out of house and home and still not much gain. I do feel hungry but only shortly before I already had planed on eating something. My numbers look good, never too low. Sometimes too high. I actually exercise a lot less now just from being tired.

I certainly don't want a big baby, LOL but I do worry about baby being underweight. I hope to get a better picture, (literally), of things at my 22 week ultrasound. :)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 331 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 7:01pm
I rarely gain much until after the 20 week point. With ODS (baby #2) I didn't gain anything until my 22 week appointment. I always gain about 25#'s but the end though.

With my youngest I went to a MW and they were a lot more about diet and nutrition and protein. I can't remember the number but they really wanted to to increase my protein while keeping my carbs in check. I thought it was 20 grams of protein/day, I think it was. Lots of greek yogurt, chicken breasts...

Baby 1 was 7#, baby 2 was 6# 8oz, and baby 3 was 8# 5oz even though with all 3 I gained the same amount of weight. I think with my youngest I gained healthier weight with more protein and lots of water and I felt better so that is why he was bigger (it is just by thought, don't know if it is true). Than being said... he was "easiest" delivery - still tough but not as much as the first 2.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 7:17pm
Sarah2106, did you have GD? I'm seeing a nutritionist and a nurse educator. Both tell me my diet looks good but I need to add more calories. That's why I'm doing 5 snacks now. I don't really like chicken, but I think I'll have to start eating more.
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(9)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 141 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 8:36pm
Almonds are a good snack. I had a bunch in my desk at work, that I could munch on as needed
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (Jun 11)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 331 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by lawahine lawahine wrote:

Sarah2106, did you have GD? I'm seeing a nutritionist and a nurse educator. Both tell me my diet looks good but I need to add more calories. That's why I'm doing 5 snacks now. I don't really like chicken, but I think I'll have to start eating more.

No, so my advice would have been way off baseEmbarrassed What about other high protein eats to avoid chicken?
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 20 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:42pm
I'd try adding some healthy fats...make sure you're doing full fat dairy, fattier meats, add some virgin coconut oil or use coconut milk in your cooking. Eggs are super healthy for pregnant women, too. Avocados and nuts as well.

Edited by erinchelsea - 16 Apr 2012 at 10:43pm
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(31)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 257 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:28pm
i agree with the full fat healthy options.  Like nuts, avacado, olive oil, butter.  I dont' know anything about the GD diet thought so take my advise with a grain of salt.  I am not a fan of chicken while pregnant and aim to get my protien from other things like dairy, greek yogurt, ect. 
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:15am
I did the Brewer diet while I was pregnant and gained a lot (sigh, trying to get it all off now), though I feel like I gained it in a healthy way with nutritionally packed foods.  

Would something like this help you out?

http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/brewer-diet-checklists/brewer-diet-basic-plan-checklist/
patsyruss View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote patsyruss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 1:51am
A simple but great exercise to help lose weight in your thighs during pregnancy, that requires no equipment and can even be done at home in front of the TV is to perform lunges. As with all exercises during pregnancy, just remember to use your abdominal muscles to support the spine.

lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 3:32pm
I have GD, borderline with the first 3, now have it, currently 15 wks into #4. It is hard to eat low carb and get enough calories, since you end up eating so many veggies. Try greek yogurt and granola. Plain greek yogurt is 22g of protein 9g of sugar per cup. I actually eat vanilla greek yogurt, which is 23g protein & 17g of sugar with some granola and that doesn't spike my sugar anymore than a normal meal (I plan to switch to plain GY soon). Cottage cheese is also a good snack, more fat/calories than the yogurt I think. Cottage cheese has 100 cal per 1/2 cup, vanilla GY has 170 / cup. An apple with peanut butter. In fact are there other things in your diet that you could add peanut butter or any nut butter to? Add butter to all steamed veggies. Try hummus for a dip with fresh veggies, or heck even a sour cream based dip for that matter. Slice of cheese is one of my go to quick snacks right now.

I know they talk about carbs and fiber mostly when talking about food, but protein will help slow down the rate of sugar absorption, so protein is super important for every meal/snack.

Don't stress too much about weight gain, the averages and norms aren't always right for everyone. I typically only gain 20 with each one.

Edited by lstols - 18 Oct 2012 at 3:36pm
Laura - Mom to DS 5/05, DD 4/07, DD 9/10, DS 4/13
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 3:43pm
10, the total number of pounds I gained in my 5th pregnancy. 8 lbs 8 oz, the healthy weight of my son. Not the ideal situation, but as long as you're putting the right nutrients into your body your baby is going to take what it needs. Think protein and healthy fats. Avacados and coconut come to mind since they pack a lot of good fats w/o bad sugars and artifical stuff.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos a href="https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkandBean" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Turk & Bean
k
 Post Reply Post Reply