Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Yogurt for a yeast rash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yogurt for a yeast rash
    Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 2:12am
DS looks like he is getting a yeast rash again. We battled one for the first 6 months after he was born. He's 13 months now, I'm feeling pretty defeated at the moment. I just switched to Eco Sprout detergent which is great at keeping the ammonia smell away but he has had a red bum with it and now this. I just gave him some probiotics before bed and I will in the morning too, but I was wondering about yogurt. I never used yogurt the first time around. Do I just put it on his bum and leave it there or do I let it sit for a short time and wipe it off? I am really trying to nip it in the bud because I know all too well what this can turn into.
Carissa - Mommy to one energetic little boy :)
giada md
Sponsored Links

mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 37 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:38am
Maybe TMI but when I have yeast build up I use plain yogurt down there and eat a ton of yogurt.  Really helps.  Put it on his bum and then put the diaper on.  I would try and change a little more often too.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 179 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 12:57pm
Give it a shot! You'll know soon if it's not working. I've heard CJ's plus is also great for yeast.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:10pm
Thanks Emily, totally not TMI! If I ever have an issue I know to try that now!! I just bought some yogurt so I'm hoping it will help him. He's been going around naked and I've been changing him a lot. I just hope it doesn't stain the diapers because I wiped up a yogurt mess with a prefold before and it got horrible black stains on it, I'm assuming mold or something of the sort.

Clare, I actually have CJ's plus, it didn't help get rid of it the first time around but when it was gone it kept it gone. I stopped using it about a month ago, I guess I'll pull it back out and try that too. I'm determined to get rid of it fast!
giada md
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 179 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:52pm
Good luck, Carissa. Let us know how it works for you. Also good to know about the CJ's. Funny how it works wonders for some people and doesn't work for others.
ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:33am
Thanks, I will :)
giada md
ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:54pm
*UPDATE*

I used plain yogurt on DS's bottom and it worked great! I couldn't believe how fast most of the rash went away (within about 12 hours).  There is still a small spot that is being really stubborn so I've been trying everything on it(Coconut oil with TTO, GSE, and ACV). I even pulled out some Lotramin AF and have been using that for a few days and it's finally getting better. I'm also bleaching the diapers because I know how stubborn yeast is, and sunning them now that we finally have sun!
giada md
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 179 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:16pm
That's so awesome! Glad you tried it out and it mostly worked!
ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:31pm
I was so relieved! I didn't want to deal with it for months again.
giada md
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:17pm
This is a great trick the have up my sleeve.  Glad it worked. 

What brand of yogurt did you use? Some brands have so much sugar in them, I'm worried that I might make a yeast rash worse.
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 32 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:12pm
i feel ya on battling yeast. it can be a never ending cycle :(

i will have to try the yogurt thing. i only have greek plain, will that work?
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 32 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:13pm
can eating yogurt CAUSE a yeast rash? or should i be pumping her full of it?

i don't eat yogurt because i feel like it leaves me unbalanced.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:51am
I used Mountain High plain yogurt made with whole milk.  The Greek will probably work fine. Idk if the milk it's made from (whole, fat free, etc) makes a difference though. I just always try to get full fat food.  In my experience having my son eat the yogurt actually helped him.  I either blend it with a banana and let him have a smoothy or give him some vanilla yogurt which he just loves!  And I use Nature's Way probiotics for kids, that made the biggest difference the first time.  
giada md
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:39pm
The only thing that makes a difference with the Yogurt is that it's plain, so the sugars don't feed the yeast, and that it has living cultures in it. It's the good bacteria in the yogurt that kills off the yeast. The more yogurt you eat the more good bacteria you get into your system and the less hospitable your GI tract is for yeast.  Yogurt works because the good bacteria create an acidic environment in which yeast cannot thrive, the more there are, the more they can colonize and create that acidic environment, so she should eat as much as she'll eat.  I too have used plain yogurt down yonder, and it works for BV too.  Oh, if you get really desperate and the rash won't go away you can sprinkle the probiotic powder onto the rashy spot, or mix it with a tiny bit of water to make a paste and spread that on there. 

ETA: spelling

Edited by rustygriffen - 30 Apr 2012 at 11:24pm
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 32 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:48pm
thanks!

i will have her start eating more yogurt then. i feel like i am constantly battling yeast in her diaper area.

Post Reply Post Reply