Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Starter pack for friend... what to put in it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TattooedMama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TattooedMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter pack for friend... what to put in it?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 5:42pm
My friend has decided to CD but is still really apprehensive. I want to make her a starter pack but I'm not sure how to NOT overwhelm her. I was thinking like 5 pockets, 2 aio's, 3 fitteds, 6 flats and 2 covers. Any ideas??
Ricci, mama to DS 4/06 and little bean 12/12 giada md
Sponsored Links

stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(62)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 191 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:03pm
I wouldn't give her more than one type of diaper...your favorite perhaps? Or something frugal and EASY like 4 covers and a dozen prefolds/flats. You know, something that won't overwhelm and is easy to figure out and wash! HTH!
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TattooedMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
Thank you. You're exactly right. Too many different kinds will definitely confuse her.
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:16pm
I'd probably go with 2 types- a pocket and a cover/insert system. Say, 6 Blueberry or BG pockets, 2 Flips and 2 Capris with flats or prefolds. 
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 215 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:49pm
Yeah, I agree. 1 or 2 kinds of diapers. My sister, who was very skeptical of my "hard" cloth diapers (flats and prefolds) really LOVED the GMD Workhorses I lent her. She said they were so easy to use. I lent her both small Thirsties and Thirsties Duo wraps to pair with them. She is even asking for the next size up! So, that might be an option for you. She can see if she likes them and go from there.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 147 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
I would go with a simple fitted (or prefitted like Tinkle Traps or WorkHorse) and a dozen PFs. Add a couple different types of covers - maybe NB Thirsties and a Duo or Capri.

My friend wanted to use cloth so another friend and I got her a dozen small LL Fitteds (they are a basic cotton fitted that I used when I started and they worked great. LL is selling their store so everything is on clearance for great deal, didn't realize until I put them in the shopping cart) and a dozen NB PF's. I then got her 2 NB Thirsties and 2 Duo size small covers and a dozen LL wipes. It was a great start, simple and I told her that if it ended up not working that she could easily resell those items.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TattooedMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:47pm
I bought her some pockets because I had already demonstrated mine to her and she seemed to like them. And then I threw on some prefolds and a cover. She can always sell them back to me if she doesn't get into it. LOL
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 12:20am
Just wanted to say way to go Mama! I love spreading the CD love Tongue
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 103 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 12:24am
I was going to suggest have her borrow a diaper of each kind from you (if you have a variety of systems) and see what she likes.  Or there are a bunch of rental programs out there.  It isn't as romantic (wrong word, but I can't think of a better) as having her open a big box full of new soft diapers, but much more practical.
Tracy
Tracy - married (June 2006), DS (August 2011)
spendie View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote spendie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 1:02am
Keep it simple so she doesn't get confused or overwhelmed!  You want her to fall in love with CD'ing!  Try her with some pockets - like you had showed her and maybe a couple of fitteds and covers?  
Jen-
Mommy to four
Chloe-5/98, Calvin 1/01, Cailey 2/07, Chase 1/11
zsoka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote zsoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:59pm
I am actually due with baby#2 in a few weeks and have a friend due in September.  I was going to do the same.  I think I got her interested in CD but after she checked stuff online she is not sure what to go with.  I told her that by September I would be out of my newborn stuff and she was welcomed to borrow my stuff to see what they liked the best.
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TattooedMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 12:30am
That's a good idea. I lost most of my old stash in a flood so I don't have but a few pockets and prefolds and neither are in good condition. Plus there's just something about new CDs that is really exciting. I want her to have that feeling... maybe it'll help her stick with it. Smile
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:46am
a simple starter pack is a great idea, and i also think 1-2 pockets or aio would be good with a couple covers and prefolds, which seem a little more user friendly than flats, but if she gets on board with CDing, then you can introduce her to flat-love :)
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:51am
i want to lend my newborn/smalls stash out to friends as an intro to CDing, but most of them are very into the 'ick' factor and are not comfy with pre-owned diapers... sad, poor, lonely newborn/smalls stash...
zsoka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote zsoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by vansen19 vansen19 wrote:

i want to lend my newborn/smalls stash out to friends as an intro to CDing, but most of them are very into the 'ick' factor and are not comfy with pre-owned diapers... sad, poor, lonely newborn/smalls stash...

My friend was the same way until she priced out what her "ideal" NB stash would cost her .  Big smile Plus she is still tring to get her boyfreind on board.  She would have gone and spent the money but he is not 100% on board.  I plan on holding onto my diapers and passing them down to my girl when the time comes.  I have a rather large age gap between my daughter and baby# 2.
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:20pm
Maybe add some reusable wipes and a wipe juice concentrate with a spray bottle (or your own homemade recipe)?  

What a great idea!  Let us know how it turns out :)
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:29am
i'm the odd one out -- i like the variety of the original line-up! Like a base of PFs then a smattering of other stuff to figure out what she groves on.
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 303 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 7:36am
If I were to do it all over again, I'd want a starter pack like this.  With the possible exception that I like flats more than pfs because they line dry much easier, but starting with simplicity and uniformity and washability would have been easier than the way I started (with random diapers, purchased one at a time).  BSWW are my favorite covers too. 
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
WynterRain View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote WynterRain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:13pm
I like the idea of variety. I would have never used cloth if my first experience was with pfs. I still won't use pfs even after CDing 2 LOs from birth. LOL

With a variety she can experiment and then buy more of what she likes. Besides, I've never known an expectant mom who doesn't research the heck out of baby topics while waiting for the big day....she'll know more about cloth than she thinks :)
 Post Reply Post Reply