Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Coconut Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(50)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 74 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

Another good way to take it is to gently melt it (or it will melt naturally when it is warmer than about 75*) and put in a shooter of water and drink it like a shot. It goes down easily without the full texture of the oil in your mouth. I try to take at least 2 Tbs/day. For weightloss, you can take 2 Tbs (more or less depending on body weight) about 20 minutes before each meal. Coconut oil is filling and your body uses the fatty acids immediatley for fuel instead of storing it. A good book to check out is The Coconut Diet by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig.

Huh I had no idea about all this! Very cool :)I Thanks for sharing everyone!
~Morgan~SAHM to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
Sponsored Links

ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 2:42am
You girls are too funny! I was laughing so much reading this thread! I want to try eating coconut oil now. I have some in my cupboard but don't use it too often because it really changes the flavor of everything I cook in it.
Carissa - Mommy to one energetic little boy :)
giada md
GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:27am
Originally posted by stegmanjessica stegmanjessica wrote:

I've seen my weight gain level off and I'm finally losing without dieting or exercise. My energy level is higher as well. 

I had the same results as well.  After I decided to try adding maca and spirulina to my diet weight loss was even easier!  My energy is sooo much higher now and I feel more emotionally balanced(no more highs and lows throughout day).

I just started oil pulling--It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be!
Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by GreenJessicaA GreenJessicaA wrote:

Originally posted by stegmanjessica stegmanjessica wrote:

I've seen my weight gain level off and I'm finally losing without dieting or exercise. My energy level is higher as well. 

I had the same results as well.  After I decided to try adding maca and spirulina to my diet weight loss was even easier!  My energy is sooo much higher now and I feel more emotionally balanced(no more highs and lows throughout day).

I just started oil pulling--It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be!

I'm waiting on an order of spirulina. Good to hear it helped you to level out emotionally too. I'm a wreck right now and need some balance. Not to mention the weight gain I've had over the last 6 months Cry

Jen, do a Google search for oil pulling or check it out on Earth Clinic. It will explain it much better than I could. If you try it, I would recommend just doing it for 2 minutes in the morning. It's easier to incorporate it into your life that way and I have read that anything longer than that will re introduce what toxins have been "pulled" back into your bloodstream.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:38am
Just thought I'd share how I've been taking my coconut oil. It's a little indulgent treat and it's very easy to get down. I mix 1/2 tbsp of coco powder 1tbsp, of coconut oil, & a drop of maple syrup (maybe 1/2 tsp. at most). Blend well with a spoon.I eat it with a tiny baby spoon. Very yummy and it seems coco is pretty good for you too.
slednmom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote slednmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:26am
Wow what rock have I been hiding under? :)
Amber wife to Ryan(12/00)
Boston(9/07) & Grace (7/10) & Kynlee (12/11)

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 163 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:35am
Hi, Amber! :)

Samsmum, here is another fab recipe for getting your coconut oil in:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/09/nourishing-and-scrumptious-mounds-candy-bars.html
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
slednmom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote slednmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:52am
Cant wait to get to my computer and look the info up
Amber wife to Ryan(12/00)
Boston(9/07) & Grace (7/10) & Kynlee (12/11)

samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:10pm
Yum, thanks Clare.
yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 2:24pm
so i asked my naturopath about oil pulling and she had never heard of it.  i googled it a bit and the thing that i'm unsure about is most resources say to swish for 20 minutes!  I hate to use the 'i don't have time for that' excuse; but really, 20 minutes first thing every morning?  er, not sure this would be so doable. 
Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by yausers_2005 yausers_2005 wrote:

so i asked my naturopath about oil pulling and she had never heard of it.  i googled it a bit and the thing that i'm unsure about is most resources say to swish for 20 minutes!  I hate to use the 'i don't have time for that' excuse; but really, 20 minutes first thing every morning?  er, not sure this would be so doable. 
Who has time for that! Certainly not anyone with a kid. I did a fair bit of internet searching on it last year when I tried it. It's an Aryuvedic(sp?) regimin. What i did discover in my search was that there is a theory out there that 2-2.5 minutes is the optimal amount of time rather than 20. The theory is that you are pulling out all those toxins into your mouth but the mouth (especially the area under the tongue) absorbs fairly rapidly and at about 2.5 minutes starts to re absorb the toxins. I don't know if that is true or not but it kind of made sense to me.

yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 5:30pm
hm, i definitely like the 2.5 minutes theory better!  i think i could handle that!
Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 200 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:30pm
I was looking at oil pulling too.  Not sure coconut is recommended for my blood type (O), but I can't imagine trying to keep any other kind in my mouth for very long.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by yausers_2005 yausers_2005 wrote:

Me either, I usually make it about 5.  I'm not sure if it really works in that amount of time but I figure it can't hurt.  At the very least, I don't need to use mouth wash every morning now!
Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 96 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

Hi, Amber! :)

Samsmum, here is another fab recipe for getting your coconut oil in:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/09/nourishing-and-scrumptious-mounds-candy-bars.html

i make these all the time- super yum!
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 93 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 7:42pm
i oil pull for 15 minutes most mornings, though sometimes it's more like 10 minutes.  I get the kids washed/dressed/brushed then spit it out and continue getting ready myself.  I'm veeeery interested in the 2.5 minutes, though - that would make mornings more comfortable, for sure.  :D 

Edited by sunnymom - 29 Mar 2012 at 7:43pm
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12