Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Non-Dairy and kids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 116 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Dairy and kids
    Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 7:41pm
Those of you that are non-dairy households, what sources of calcium do you give your kids?

I'm thinking I need to give up dairy again- at least straight milk for sure, cultured milk products are better as long as it's in moderation. I've been off it before and always feel so much better, every time I drink milk I'm miserable. DS doesn't like to drink it and I wonder if it bothers his tummy, too- or if he's just being a two year old. Tongue
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
Sponsored Links

Daisy2971 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daisy2971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 9:03pm
We use fortified rice milk for our youngest because of a milk allergy.  It also has vitamin D so the calcium can be absorbed.  The vanilla one tastes pretty good if it's really cold.
Cameron 11/11/02 Ava 11/22/04 Noah 1/30/08 Wyatt 2/15/11 giada md<
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(27)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 63 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 9:09pm
We dont drink milk at all. Used to use nut milks and soy milk but not now. we have a lot of grains; greens like broccoli, kale, collards; eggs; seeds. Will try to find a few references later. :)
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 116 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 10:07pm
Thanks, SM- we eat a lot of greens & eggs too. Some references would be great.

I've tried coconut & almond milk, I don't think I've ever had rice milk.
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 106 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:46pm
We are non-dairy/soy/gluten. My kids' calcium comes from veggies and eggs. LOTS of broccoli and spinach, kale, seeds. We honestly eat so many veggies and meat that I don't worry about the kids' vitamins. Kale chips are a hit here, as are green smoothies, in which each kid consumes about 1.25c. of spinach every single day.
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 116 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 8:16am
We love kale chips and green smoothies, too! I just need to do them more consistently. I have a hard time getting Abram to eat eggs anymore...I think he's tired of them. Confused
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 8:58am
I don't do anything other than make sure they're getting a wide range of whole foods in their diets. We eat lots of eggs and veggies, too.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 9:00am
The book Nourishing Traditions reccomends Dolomite powder as a calcium supplement for kids and adults who are dairy free. It is something that you could blend up in a smoothie. I do have a bottle of that in my fridge.
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 78 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 12:09pm
personally i am pro cheese, butter and yogurt without drinking milk. cheese- it's just good, kids love it, you have more variety in foods and good calcium. yogurt for probiotics, calcium and protein and butter cause.. well it's just necessary lol. the kids dont drink milk and i only rarely do, dh is the only milk drinker and he has cut back lately from a couple a day to one at most. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 4:47pm
We are dairy, gluten, egg free around here and I use calcium chews to supplement calcium.  "They" recommend 500mg elemental daily for children 2 and up is my understanding.  The most absorbable form is calcium citrate which costs a little more.  My boys love the chewy calciums and they are combined with 400 IU of vit D which is better for absorption as well. 

I also use homemade stocks in my cooking which I figure should help a bit.  My boys are not the best at eating green - of any kind.  And that is the best form of calcium - think green :)  Naturally occuring calcium in food is absorbed well and thereby, you don't need to worry about "mg's" per se. 

Edited by Jaimeis - 05 Mar 2012 at 4:49pm
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 4:52pm
I did forget to mention stocks! That is another way to boost minerals.
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 116 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 4:59pm
Yes, I do try to do stocks since we have our home grown chickens but I'd love to do more of that! Yum!!!

Katie, yes, I do yogurt and cheese in small amounts. And we definitely eat lots of butter! Those things don't bother my tummy like the straight milk and DS seems to like it better as well. Today I made him a smoothie with a bit of plain yogurt, fruit & spinach. Thumbs Up
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 167 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 6:17pm
Our house & eating habits are a lot like Katie's.  Tess has live kefir grains for sale (you can add them into a coop when she's shipping), and I make it for us to use in bfast smoothies.  Can't beat the live probiotics.  Maybe it would be a thing you would try for yourself, and if you didn't have the big negative side-effects you get from milk, you could try it w/ the LOs?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 128 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:14am
We are far from dairy free, but I prefer almond milk for myself. I usually have unsweetened vanilla and chocolate in the house. They always have calcium added, but I'm not sure if that is what you want v. a natural source. DS likes almond milk, too. He drinks cow's milk, but I am pretty sure I could go to almond with no problems. DS just recently decided cheese is ok. He's always liked yogurt. He used to have a daily smoothie with yogurt and spinach in it. As he's diversified his acceptable foods, I've stopped being so strict about a smoothie every day.
Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply