Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Gluten-Free Mamas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
umbribyz View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(8)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 1 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote umbribyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluten-Free Mamas
    Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 11:41am
How did you decide to go GF?
What symptoms did you have before making the change?
How do you feel after cutting it out?
Do you need to cut it out completely to see a difference, or just reduce the amount you consume?
Thanks!
Carrie
HSing and Knitting Mama to my 3 sweet boys   
Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 274 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:10pm
How did you decide to go GF? It was a long process, but I read Nourishing Traditions and began grinding my wheat at home and soaking and sprouting my grains. My digestion never really changed despite the those changes. Then, a couple years ago I decided to go on the Atkins diet. After 2 weeks on Induction (carbs only from veggies) my digestive symptons disappeared and I felt amazing. I got pregnant with DS and went back on grains, but in smaller amounts. Symptoms came back. Then, when Micah exploded with eczema, I began to dig deeper into my diet and digestion and it led me to the GAPS diet. We are now fully grain/dairy free.

What symptoms did you have before making the change? All my childhood I had terrible digestive issues. Stomach pains, diarrhea, gas, bloating, overweight, and tired. It didn't help that my mom fed us a complete diet of processed food. By the time I got married, I had my weight under control, but still suffered IBS-like symptoms. I thought it was normal.

How do you feel after cutting it out? Amazing and free. I didn't suffer from gross bloating, gas and pains from trying to hold it in (just being honest!) I lost some weight and had energy.

Do you need to cut it out completely to see a difference, or just reduce the amount you consume. I believe it needs to be cut out fully. Gluten intolerance is just a symptom of a larger problem- damaged gut flora. We are supposed to be able to digest small amounts of grains but when our gut flora is damaged, we are unable to. This spirals into a whole host of other issues. In my case, it caused a leaky gut which allowed undigested food/toxins into my bloodstream as well as caused all those digestive troubles. I believe this this was also the cause of Micah's eczema.

If you suspect an intolerance, I highly reccomend Gut and Psychology Syndrome. It is a diet to heal and seal the gut so eventually you can consume grains and dairy and actually digest them properly.

ETA- typos

Edited by Clare_S - 26 Jan 2012 at 12:12pm
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 318 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 1:13pm

I found out in December 2010 that I have graves disease, an autoimmune disease where your body makes antibodies that attack your thyroid. I wasn't comfortable with the medications they were recommending so I did some research on my own, talked to another more natural minded doctor, and talked to my aunt who is a natural health care practitioner. What was recommended to me on all fronts and what I found in my own research was that autoimmune thyroid issues and autoimmune gluten issues are closely linked. I cut out gluten last summer, while pregnant, and waited for five months to see if anything improved. My twice monthly blood test started improving a month in, about the amount of time it takes for gluten to clear your system. They've been going down steadily ever since. My last blood test was a couple weeks ago and I no longer meet diagnostic criteria for graves disease. Graves disease is supposedly incurable without medication, radioactive iodine treatment, or surgery (all of which completely destroy your thyroid and mean you have to take replacement hormones for the rest of your life). I'm praying that I will not have a return of symptoms and higher levels after the baby is born as can sometimes happen postpartum but we'll see. 

I had many of the same symptoms Claire had, IBS type symptoms. I had to reintroduce gluten for an allergy blood test (which didn't work so I have to do it again at some point here) and all my symptoms returned. I felt like I had food poisoning for the first couple days.

I felt great. All day I feel like I have been drinking caffeine when I haven't had any. When I reintroduced it I felt noticeably sluggish. The one slightly scary thing that happens when I'm off gluten is rapid initial weight loss. I lost 10 pounds in the course of two weeks when I first stopped eating it, this was while pregnant. I have had cravings for gluten containing foods, especially when the food is tied to something, like birthday cake. There are gluten free replacement foods but they're generally not very healthy, are difficult to find, don't taste nearly as good as the real thing, and are really expensive. I ate quite a few of these replacement foods when first gluten free but now I rarely buy them and just make things that are naturally gluten free. 

Do you need to cut it out completely to see a difference, or just reduce the amount you consume?
I think you do need to cut it out completely. I don't go so far as to have separate cutting boards or skillets but I do make sure that everything is clean before I make something that I'm going to eat on it. Unlike Claire I still consume grains. I have tried to cut them out completely several times but I can't do it. I get hypoglycemic while pregnant and I found myself eating things like spoonfuls of sugar to keep my blood sugar up and me from passing out when I was trying to go grain free. I decided that gluten free grains are healthier than that. I eat very little grain/simple carbs compared to many people, one potato and some gluten free plain rice cereal is typically all the grain/simple carbs I have in a day. 
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 318 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 1:13pm
Ok, sorry, I have no idea why that post looks so funky. 
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 207 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
We have been tempted to try gaps to see if it helps reduce the severity of my adult onset allergies. I am not sure whether I can do it with the kids right now, or even get dh to try it, but I know I feel better when I limit gluten, dairy, and super starchy stuff. For now I am trying to limit my intake of these foods, and I make and eat broth as often as possible. (I stuff the crock pot with chicken bones and veggie scraps, add water, let it cook overnight. works great.) Once things here calm down and we are more settled I may try full gaps but right now it is too much for me to take on because it would mean making different meals for each person. I notice a big difference even with the smallish changes we have made though, so I have no doubt that gaps will be beneficial for me!
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 274 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 1:18pm
Liz, I am so amazed at the connection between the immune system and the digestive system. I wish more people knew that they can heal their autoimmune diseases by looking into nutrition and diet. I love your story, thanks for sharing! It gives me hope that I can heal S & M's eczema.

Edited by Clare_S - 26 Jan 2012 at 1:18pm
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 274 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 1:23pm
SM- GAPS Intro is a tough diet. Full GAPS is a breeze compared. I was so scared to put the baby on Intro, but both kids have gained weight in the past month! I am amazed. Micah drinks bottles of broth instead of raw goat milk and is eating better than ever. We are still working through their eczema, but I think it will take some time to heal. I am fortunate to have a husband that is more dedicated to the diet than I am. He keeps me going.
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(59)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 250 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:11pm
How did you decide to go GF? Dairy free and soy free still weren't helping the kids' tummy troubles, DH was very interested in the Paleo diet which was gluten free, and we needed something to help us eat healthier! We jumped in 100% Paleo about 10 days ago but dabbled in it since 3 weeks before Christmas.
What symptoms did you have before making the change? All of us had chronic tummyaches (the children were quite miserable 5 days out of 7 at least); the kids all had chronic diarrhea, John had eczema
How do you feel after cutting it out? AMAZING. I haven't lost weight but I'm also not exercising and my overall healthy and wellness isn't great...yet. The kids have completely stopped having diarrhea. No.Joke, Jeanine and William (who were the worst) had their first formed poops ever within the last couple weeks. Meaning, Jeanine had diarrhea her entire life, until she was 3.5 :(  WILLIAM STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!! Clap For 12-13 hours! For the last 4 nights and still going strong on naps finally. I am thoroughly convinced his tummy troubles due to gluten were what was keeping him awake 24/7 for his first 21 months!  Also, when I did this major detox diet, I did break out in acne on my back for a while but now it's almost gone.
Do you need to cut it out completely to see a difference, or just reduce the amount you consume?  See Clare's post above. Yes. LOL
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 318 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

Liz, I am so amazed at the connection between the immune system and the digestive system. I wish more people knew that they can heal their autoimmune diseases by looking into nutrition and diet. I love your story, thanks for sharing! It gives me hope that I can heal S & M's eczema.

I had severe eczema as a child, I still have the scars on my arms. It continued on and off until I stopped the gluten. I've only had one very, very minor flare (1.5x1.5 cm patch on my hand) when pregnancy was normally a time it would get significantly worse. I hope your kids skin clears up, I wish my mom had been so bold as to investigate diet as a cause of my eczema. 
RachandSoph View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachandSoph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by stegmanjessica stegmanjessica wrote:

How did you decide to go GF? Dairy free and soy free still weren't helping the kids' tummy troubles, DH was very interested in the Paleo diet which was gluten free, and we needed something to help us eat healthier! We jumped in 100% Paleo about 10 days ago but dabbled in it since 3 weeks before Christmas.
What symptoms did you have before making the change? All of us had chronic tummyaches (the children were quite miserable 5 days out of 7 at least); the kids all had chronic diarrhea, John had eczema
How do you feel after cutting it out? AMAZING. I haven't lost weight but I'm also not exercising and my overall healthy and wellness isn't great...yet. The kids have completely stopped having diarrhea. No.Joke, Jeanine and William (who were the worst) had their first formed poops ever within the last couple weeks. Meaning, Jeanine had diarrhea her entire life, until she was 3.5 :(  WILLIAM STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!! Clap For 12-13 hours! For the last 4 nights and still going strong on naps finally. I am thoroughly convinced his tummy troubles due to gluten were what was keeping him awake 24/7 for his first 21 months!  Also, when I did this major detox diet, I did break out in acne on my back for a while but now it's almost gone.
Do you need to cut it out completely to see a difference, or just reduce the amount you consume?  See Clare's post above. Yes. LOL

Ah-hah!!  I thought the gluten was the root cause for awhile(think we talked about it a smidge).....glad the kids are feeling so much betterClap
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachandSoph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:42pm
I'm not, but my Sophie is a Celiac. A lot of what I make is gluten free, or easily adapted for Soph. I have considered it for myself and Rachel because of our migraines. Still contemplating because I am picky and will surely starveLOL and Rach may have other autoimmune stuff going on that I want to rule out first. I think she will be going GF too....she won't be happySpeechOuch

ETA: I really shouldn't post when I'm drugged for a migraine, I didn't answer the questions you asked AT ALLEmbarrassed

I will adress the questions when I am more coherent.....my bad!

Edited by RachandSoph - 26 Jan 2012 at 2:45pm
R*J*H View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Perennial Pinner
5 years 20 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote R*J*H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:50pm
I have a question but I know that yall arent experts but would like yall's opinions. I have hypothyroid disease (underactive) along with some other medical issues. Do you think GF would help fire my thyroid & metabolism back up? Ive been working on loosing weight and Ive lost about 5 or 6 pounds since October. Oh and what if you have an insane sweet tooth?? Thanks!
Rebecca, single mama to my furbabies Liberty Rose & Apollo
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachandSoph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by R*J*H R*J*H wrote:

I have a question but I know that yall arent experts but would like yall's opinions. I have hypothyroid disease (underactive) along with some other medical issues. Do you think GF would help fire my thyroid & metabolism back up? Ive been working on loosing weight and Ive lost about 5 or 6 pounds since October. Oh and what if you have an insane sweet tooth?? Thanks!

Have you looked into autoimmune diseases/disorders? Celiac disease is one, btw

elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 318 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 3:33pm

It can't hurt, if it helps would depend if you're thyroid issues are autoimmune or not. This could be determined with blood tests for antibodies or other markers for hashimotos disease (or possibly other diseases, I'm not really up on which cause hypothyroidism). 

I found that my sugar cravings mostly went away when I stopped eating gluten and I was someone who could eat half a package of oreos if the mood struck. There are fewer sweet options than savory while gluten free but there still are plenty. The healthiest way to go is to bake your own sweets. Things like coconut and rice flours are expensive and I think that also reduces the amount I eat. I just can't always justify spending $5 to bake a batch of cookies. 
4LittleMonkeys View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4LittleMonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 7:56pm

There is an undeniable connection between thyroid problems and gluten.  It is worth a try.
DD(15),DS(12),DD(11),DS(4)
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 227 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by elus0814 elus0814 wrote:

Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

I had severe eczema as a child, I still have the scars on my arms. It continued on and off until I stopped the gluten. I've only had one very, very minor flare (1.5x1.5 cm patch on my hand) when pregnancy was normally a time it would get significantly worse. I hope your kids skin clears up, I wish my mom had been so bold as to investigate diet as a cause of my eczema. 

Your mom probably had no idea it could even be a culprit.  All this sort of new diet & allergy stuff is very recent.  "Gluten" is in our vocabularies but would not have been in our parents'.
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (6.5), Penelope (5),and Rosalie (2)k <a hre
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4LittleMonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 7:02am
.I guess I never really answered your original question, hehe.

I have an autoimmune thyroid condition and in an effort to feel better, I have read so much material.  It seems like 100 people could have 100 different ideas on which supplements, etc. but many of them agreed on one common thing: go gluten free.  This opinion is based on a Scientific study on the role of gluten in fueling autoimmune issues.

Inflammation and tons of it.  I have rosacea, bursitis, and several other inflammatory conditions.  I am hypothyroid (auto-immune) and I had been dealing with lots of symptoms of Sjorsen's autoimmune disease (you lose the moisture - painfully dry eyes, dry ears, dry mouth, etc).  The last few years, I have taken on more of an apple shape and tend to be more thick in the middle.  I just have hormonal issues...period.  All of these symptoms started and have progressed since I was 23 and I am now 34.  

This is my second time going gluten free.  Both times, I got terribly sick when I first went GF.  It was like the flu and a terrible headache, awful feeling.  Once that passes (somewhere between 5 days ~ 2 weeks for me) I start progressively feeling better.  My eyes begin to feel moister.  My ears have earwax Big smile.  This may not seem like a big deal unless you have dealt with chronic dry and itchy ears.  My rosacea begins to clear.  My heartrate is up and my pulse is stronger.  When I am on gluten, it is difficult to find a pulse because it is abnormally weak and slow.  Even though I eat more (because I am truly hungrier), I tend to drop weight when I go GF.  My bursitis is 80% gone.  I will be curious to see if I continue GF for an extended period of time, it will disappear altogether.
This is all still an experiment for me, but I am determined to stick with it and see if the long term effects are even better.

I guess it depends on your reason.  I am not convinced that everyone needs to be GF.  I grind my own wheat and make my own bread for my entire family, I just don't eat it myself.  For someone with an autoimmune disease, they say to treat it like a poison and avoid it as much as possible.  

Edited by 4LittleMonkeys - 13 Feb 2012 at 7:57pm
umbribyz View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(8)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 1 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote umbribyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 9:02am
Thanks for sharing everyone! I do have a slightly underactive thyroid, but they only tested the levels, not for the cause. It does run in my family, so not sure if that makes it more or less likely to be autoimmune. I was just wondering if this is something that I should look into or not. Looks like I should do some more research and see if my doctor will investigate the cause of the thyroid issues.
Carrie
HSing and Knitting Mama to my 3 sweet boys   
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4LittleMonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 10:11am
Many who study this connection will say any thyroid issue is a good reason to go on a 2-3 month trial of gluten free (some say gluten and dairy free).  If you are borderline, you might want to try it and see.  It really doesn't hurt.  

A good book is

I don't know what I think about all of his other theories as I haven't explore them, but he explains the thyroid-gluten connection.  

Post Reply Post Reply