Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | Starfish03 | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

dyson or....?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mamajag View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
5 years 270 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamajag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:44pm
My ILs have a DC41 and I want someone else to buy one for me.  It sucks!  My ILs keep a pristine house, and the first time they used it, they emptied the canister 3 times in their living room.  I would be terrified at what it would find in my house!

(I still want one. I picked the Dyson for them.)
HSing mom to N, C, and G.

"I've had it to here being where love's a small word, a part time thing, a paper ring.."

-- Johnny Cash, Solitary Man
Sponsored Links

slednmom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote slednmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:14pm
I want an animal dyson, thanks alot BreeLOL
Amber wife to Ryan(12/00)
Boston(9/07) & Grace (7/10) & Kynlee (12/11)

GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 164 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:35pm
We have the animal one.  We actually agonized over getting the top of the line animal one, or the next step down one with the ball.  After we read a LOT of reviews we agreed that if we were going to spend the money then we wanted one with all the suction that we could get.  (Our border collie/greyhound mix sheds like no other.)  Do you know anyone who lives close that you could borrow one?  Is there a vacuum store in town where you can try them out?  We have about a 50/50 split as far as hard floor and carpet, and it does amazing on both.  I usually vacuum once a week and just doing our bedroom I sometimes have to empty it twice.  Gross.  You certainly realize how much dirt and dust there is in your house when you get one.
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 170 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:39pm
Let's take the plunge together, Amber! I found an older (non-ball) version refurbished on ebay w/ the 6mo dyson warranty + 2.5yr seller warranty (authorized dyson service center). It's $359.

mamajag- my dad actually told me today he would just buy me one but my brother's jeep is broke...again...of course! I swear that boy is a spoiled brat. And no I don't expect to be handed things from my parents - I mean I've been married almost 8 years. lol It was just annoying to hear that once again, he gets whatever and I get whatever *I* can attain myself :P *rant over*  I WISH someone would buy me one!

DH just got a new bow. He commented tonight how he can't wait to get it. I said "I can't wait til we move into the new house and you let me order my dyson!"  He honestly said "You'll never use it." What the crap!? Um, I only use the vacuum like 3 times a week. lol Sure. Never.
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 8 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 12:18am
Oh, and the canister is Awesome on stairs!  My house is a ranch, but once in a while I vacuum the basement stairs, and I just drag the canister behind me.  It sits on the stairs so you don't have to carry it.
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 8 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 12:18am
Um, can you tell I love my dyson? Lol!

k
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 170 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 12:50am
Mary Beth, I can! And I'm glad. My friend (whom is the owner of the dyson I'm borrowing) was like a dyson sales rep when we were texting today. lol Everyone I know who has one loves them. Now I really wish I knew someone who had a canister I could try out! How long is the hose? Will it just follow behind me as I go or do I need to move it all over the place (whole downstairs is an open floor plan minus the 2 bedrooms).  Last night I actually plugged the upright into the wall in my bedroom and was able to vacuum the whole upstairs! I love that long power cord! LOL
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 8 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 1:01pm
 The hose has an adjustable wand on it.  It extends far enough that I can reach the ceiling corners of the rooms easily to get the cobwebs.  It's on 2 big wheels so it just follows behind you.  i honestly have found it much easier to maneuver than my old upright.  I can't do the entire place without unplugging it, though,  the cord is 21 ft.  Do you have a Sears near you so you can see it in person?

k
mommytoamelia View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 234 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommytoamelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 1:43pm
I have a dyson,the pet one and have had it for 8 1/2 years. have never replaced a thing on it and still works awesome!
mommy to Jacob 11, Madisen 10, Amelia 7 and Hannah 6 and stepmom to Kris 27.   </a><a hr
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 350 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:38pm
after reading this, i want a dyson. and i don't even really know what a dyson is. but, I am now going to be checking them out!!

way to enable mamas!!   
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
gotlucy View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gotlucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:08am
dyson is nice...but i have to tell you, miele is better. no loss of suction and almost 100% of particles kept in vacuum.

if you MUST have dyson...the dc24 model is cheaper and nice.   a hint: look for a sale at somewhere like best buy, or if yuou have cosco or sams club, you can find it fot less and more attachments may come w it.  there is a good chance you can find a new one for about the same price.  also an idea-- look in the change of address forms paper packet-- usps-- around here there are usually LOwes home improvent coupons for a % or $$ off and they have dysons, make your own sale!
I'm sure you're coming for me. BOO!! trick, or treat?
gotlucy View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gotlucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:10am
Originally posted by bree bree wrote:

I'll have to go check it out then Mary Beth! Right now we have hardwood downstairs, carpet steps and all upstairs. I am not sure what it will be when we move into our new house Thursday though.

FYI  uprights are better for carpet, but if you have mostly HW etc a canister would be better.

and go to a vacuum store, you can try dysons vs miele if you want!!
I'm sure you're coming for me. BOO!! trick, or treat?
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 127 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:00pm
I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to open this thread. Moving from a house of all hardwoods to all carpet, we so badly need a new vacuum. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've vacuumed in 6 months. It's disgusting. But our current vacuum has a cord that is like 10 feet long, has a small canister, has lost suction, pieces are falling off...

I have been trying for a while to convince DH to let me spend the money on a Dyson. We do have a dog, but I'm not 100% sure I want the animal. I have talked to other pet owners, and they love their's, pet version or not. Everyone raves about Dyson customer service, too. I found an amazing deal through a local small appliances retailer recently, but DH said no. I shall prevail though! You all have inspired me!
Holly
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 170 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 1:10am

Well, my dyson is on the way! I got a refurbished DC17 animal from ebay. The store also gives a 2.5yr warranty after the dyson 6mo (they only have 6mo on refurbished). I wanted an older one as I've read lots of reviews that the newer ones aren't as great suction-wise. It came w/ all the other attachments too! I can't wait til it gets here. lol The best part is - my parents bought it as my birthday gift! We have more carpet than hard floor now. The livingroom, diningroom and kitchen are hard floors but we have area rugs. All 4 bedrooms, the landing, stairs and a HUGE wide hallway are all carpet. I left my old dinky vacuum at our neighbors house when we moved because DH was suppose to go back up a few days later to pick up the rest of the stuff and he hasn't made it there yet. You have NO idea how badly I need to vacuum and scrub my floors! It should be here in a few days :)

HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 127 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 5:30pm
Would you mind inking the seller you got it from? Can't wait to hear what you think!
Holly
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by mairf mairf wrote:

I realize I didn't say I do not have the animal version.  I have the regular DC23 canister.  It works so well.  I have half carpet and half wood/linoleum/tile.  My carpet is deep pile and it has no trouble, and it sucks the dust right out of the cracks of the wood!  I even use it with the flowbee to give dh and the kids haircuts.  It's amazing how much better that thing works with a good vacuum, too! lol!
You didn't say if you tried the upright or canister style, but if you haven't tried the canister go somewhere that you can try out both styles.  I would never want to spend the money on the upright since it's just so awkward compared to the canister.

I've owned uprights for years but have been debating getting a canister for my next vacum. I know uprights are suppose to have more suction but it's such a pain not being able to vacuum under furniture w/o moving things. My old hoover doesn't seem to suck as well as it used to.

Mary Beth, does your dyson work under beds/sofa? How does it work going from HW floor to carpet? (ETA) do you have to turn the brush off and adjust the height going to HW

Edited by groupp - 14 Feb 2012 at 1:55pm
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
Poopie View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Perennial Pinner
7 years 179 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Poopie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 5:35pm
I have a Kenmore Progressive and I too was torn about this one and the Dyson. My previous vacuum was also a Kenmore canister and it lived for almost 7 years through (though if I took better care of it, it would've lasted longer). In the end I liked the attachments with the Kenmore and the fact that DIY repairs are a cinch. Plus at Sears the Kenmore with the 5 year Master Protection plan it totals $482. 
Rachael : Devoted wife to Andrew and mother Lydia (Nov 6,06.Titus Alvin Oct 9 2008 and Naomi 7/28/12
mommy2 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 2:42am
YAY!!! For getting a new vaccume. We have a Dyson and I LOVE it.  I have 3 kids, 2 dogs and I cat and that boy makes my life so easy. Tongue  It never ceases to amaze me how much stuff it can suck up.   Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours. 
~Laura~
Mama to Kelsea 9, Ryley 7 & Abby 3

Wife to Shane and Full time Nursing Student.

to,488px);}");
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12